Components of Balanced Literacy With Strategies for Pathways 2.0-Part B
By Dr. Sandra Doran
In this follow-up course to Part A of the Balanced Literacy series, you will learn how to effectively plan and implement the word work and writer’s workshop elements of a balanced program. Gain access to an array of valuable resources to immediately download for use in the planning and implementation of word work and writer’s workshop. Earn one (1) CEU.
-Taught by Dr. Sandy Doran
The term “word work” has often been used as a catch-all for a collection of unrelated assignments that students complete in grammar, spelling, and phonics.
In the first lesson of this course, you will learn the importance of delivering a coherent word work program that sequentially and systematically moves students forward from their baselines in phonics, spelling, and writing.
In the next lesson, you will watch a writer’s workshop in action and gain skills for improving student writing. Finally, in our last lesson, you will tie everything together with a summary of balanced literacy. And as usual, you will come away with an array of materials to immediately download for use in planning and teaching.
In this course, teachers will:
- Learn how to deliver the Word Work and Writer’s Workshop components of Balanced Literacy as a curricular methodology to underline good reading and writing instruction
- Discover the importance of setting up a sequential and systematic program for Word Work
- Learn multi-sensory practices for delivering phonetic instruction
- Watch a 20-minute video depicting a Writer’s Workshop in action as a model for creating their own Writer’s Workshop
- Learn techniques to build students’ fluency in writing
- Gain ideas for further study in becoming an effective balanced literacy teacher
- Receive a personalized electronic Certificate of Completion upon completion of all of the lessons and their assignments
- Engage with your peers in a forum on The Components of Balanced Literacy – share what you have learned while learning from others
- Be awarded one (1) full Continuing Education Unit (CEU) upon completion of all of the lessons and their assignments
- Gain immediate access to downloadable resources for:
- Word Work
- How spelling informs writing
- List of Decodables
- Root Words
- Sight Words
- Sound Words
- Writing Workshop
- At a glance skills
- Class writing at a glance process
- Creative Writing rubrics
- Expository Writing rubrics
- Personal Writing rubrics
- Peer Conference
- Sample Bulletin Board
- Self-editing checklist
- Student Profile
- Student Writing goals
- Writer Attitude Measure
- Writer’s Workshop Lesson Plan
- Putting it all Together
- Elements of a Balanced Literacy Program
- Recommended Books
- Multisensory Methods
- Word Work
- PREREQUISITE—Components of Balanced Literacy With Strategies for Pathways 2.0-Part A by Dr. Sandra Doran must be completed before taking this course.
- After successfully completing this course, you would be eligible to receive a Components of Balanced Literacy With Strategies for Pathways 2.0 – Digital Certification Badge. Read more...
About the instructor...
Within the educational arena, she has taught on every level from pre-school through college, held top administrative roles in four schools, and worked as Associate Superintendent of Education for the Florida Conference for 15 years. Most recently, she served as founding head of North Tampa Christian Academy, creating an innovative environment for project-based learning.
Dr. Doran holds a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education from Atlantic Union College, a master’s degree in religion and communication from Andrews University, and a doctorate in special education from Boston University. She currently serves as Curriculum and Creative Director of Three Angels for Kids.
- Before starting this course you must complete the required prerequisite course: Components of Balanced Literacy With Strategies for Pathways 2.0-Part A
By Dr. Sandra Doran
Word Work: Helping all students move forward from their baseline1 of 3
Learn the difference between Word Work and the “Assign and Assess” method. Learn how to help all students move forward from their baseline. Learn how to leverage Chall-Popp Phonics, which is included in Pathways 2.0.
Writer’s Workshop2 of 3
Learn how to effectively teach writing by implementing the three (3) parts of a Writer’s Workshop in your classroom.
Submit your review