Effective Ways to Raise Writing Scores – Part 2
By Dr. Sandra Doran
Learn how to lead students to develop a controlling idea, summarize relevant parts of a passage, and create an effective conclusion to tie the writing together. Become familiar with the distinctly Adventist resources available on the Three Angels for Kids website.
-Taught by Dr. Sandy Doran
This interactive course provides teachers with materials from Three Angels for Kids; teachers discover how to ground students in the three angels’ messages while making them better writers and critical thinkers.
In this course, teachers will:
- Gain immediate access to two (2) downloadable documents for use in helping students raise their writing scores:
- Grades 5-6: Shared Writing: Essay One
- Text-Based Prompt-Sharing Gospel
- Become familiar with the distinctly Adventist resources from Three Angels for Kids
- Learn to lead students to:
- Develop a controlling idea
- Use sources to provide evidence
- Select appropriate pieces of text for direct quotations
- Summarize relevant parts of a passage
- Use transitional devices to connect ideas
- Create an effective conclusion to tie the writing together
- Make the connection between the three angels’ messages and real-world stories
Effective Ways to Raise Writing Scores-Part 1 by Dr. Sandra Doran is a pre-requisite for this course.
NOTE: You must complete a brief online quiz for the lesson prior to completing the course. The quiz is computer-scored and a score of 75% or higher is required to pass the lesson. If you score less than 75%, you must redo the lesson and resubmit the quiz for grading. There is no cost to redo the lesson and you are given three (3) chances for redo/resubmit. There is not a pause/resume feature in a quiz. Once you have started a quiz, you must complete it. An incomplete quiz will be counted as an attempt.
About the instructor...
Within the educational arena, she has taught on every level from pre-school through college, held top administrative roles in four schools, and worked as Associate Superintendent of Education for the Florida Conference for 15 years. Most recently, she served as founding head of North Tampa Christian Academy, creating an innovative environment for project-based learning.
Dr. Doran holds a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education from Atlantic Union College, a master’s degree in religion and communication from Andrews University, and a doctorate in special education from Boston University. She currently serves as Curriculum and Creative Director of Three Angels for Kids.
- Before starting this course you must complete the required prerequisite course: Effective Ways to Raise Writing Scores – Part 1
By Dr. Sandra Doran
Submit your review