An Introduction to the Components of Balanced Literacy With Strategies for Pathways 2.0
By Dr. Sandra Doran
This is the first of a three-course series. Gain the knowledge and skills to establish an effective balanced literacy program. Get a deeper understanding of the Pathways 2.0 program and how the varied parts fit into the whole. Determine your starting point in understanding and delivering the elements of a balanced literacy program for Grades 1-2 or Grades 3-8.
-Taught by Dr. Sandy Doran
In this course you will discover how the teaching of reading has changed in the past few decades and learn the basic components of an effective balanced literacy program. Additionally, you will gain clarity on how each piece of the *Pathways 2.0 program fits in the overall context of balanced literacy.
As part of this introductory course, you will be provided with a rubric, which will help you determine your starting point in delivering essential instruction in guided reading, word work, comprehension, and writing workshop. You will also discover the objectives for Components of Balanced Literacy With Strategies for Pathways 2.0-Part A and Components of Balanced Literacy With Strategies for Pathways 2.0-Part B of the course, along with the titles of the thirty-one (31) downloadable resources you will receive when you enroll in Parts A and B.
*Pathways 2.0 is a comprehensive elementary reading program with integrated language arts for grades 1-8 that forms the basis of literacy instruction within the educational system of the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists.
In this course, teachers will:
- Gain a basic understanding of the history that led to the need for balanced literacy instruction
- Understand the goals of a balanced literacy program
- Discover the objectives of all lessons in Parts A and B of our Balanced Literacy course
- Grasp the connection between Pathways 2.0 (Reading Workshop, Writing Workshop, and Word Study) and a balanced literacy program
- Become familiar with the list of all downloadable resources in Parts A and B of the balanced literacy course series
- Complete a rubric to determine their starting point in understanding and delivering the elements of a balanced literacy program for Grades 1-2 or Grades 3-8
- Engage with your peers in a forum on The Components of Balanced Literacy – share what you have learned while learning from others
About the instructor...
Within the educational arena, she has taught on every level from pre-school through college, held top administrative roles in four schools, and worked as Associate Superintendent of Education for the Florida Conference for 15 years. Most recently, she served as founding head of North Tampa Christian Academy, creating an innovative environment for project-based learning.
Dr. Doran holds a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education from Atlantic Union College, a master’s degree in religion and communication from Andrews University, and a doctorate in special education from Boston University. She currently serves as Curriculum and Creative Director of Three Angels for Kids.
Submit your review